Deadline Extended! 2023 Sustainability Trek to Boston, January 10-13, 2023
Are you interested in sustainability? Do you want to be a changemaker? Do you want a job that positively impacts the planet, people, and future generations?
The sustainability career sector is one of the fastest growing job sectors and offers seemingly endless different career opportunities. Join us for the Careers in Sustainability Trek, a 4-day deep dive into a wide variety of sustainability related careers in Boston, where we will meet and visit with alumni doing impactful sustainability work from sustainability planning and management to climate and energy to food systems to sustainable architecture and design to social justice and equity to corporate sustainability. Don’t miss this amazing opportunity!
The trek will take place January 10 - 13, 2023 during Interterm.
Because of the generosity of a donor, we are able to offer this program (including lodging, meals, and transportation to/from Amherst College) at no cost to students. The trek is hosted by the Office of Sustainability and the Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning.
Selected students for this trek will:
• Develop a better understanding of the variety of sustainability careers available in both the public and private sector
• Gain exposure to the key trends, issues, challenges, and opportunities in sustainability
• Make connections with alumni and other leaders who are making a difference through their sustainability work
- Group interviews will be held the first week of November: Tuesday, Nov. 1 and Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 4:30 p.m.
- Mandatory participation in pre-departure orientation session Friday, December 16
- Completion of all pre-departure research assignments
- Full participation in all group discussions, conversations with alumni, and site visits
• ALL class years welcome to apply
• Demonstrated interest in exploring careers in social impact sustainability
• Full engagement in all facilitated group discussions, conversations with alumni, and visits to sustainability sites
• Participation in a post-trip debrief session
• Those accepted into the program will need to sign a contract committing to the program.
How to apply:
Apply through Handshake with your resume and a letter of interest. The letter of interest should include responses to the following:
• Why does a potential career in the sustainability sciences interest you, and what specific areas of research or industry are you exploring?
• What current scientific area of study or research challenge is of most concern/interest to you and why?
• What would you hope to learn about careers in the social impact sustainability industry that you do not already know?
• How do you imagine that this trek might impact your career exploration or decision making?
Applications will be screened. Selected applicants will be invited to participate in a group interview in November.
Questions? Contact Wes Dripps, Director of Sustainability - firstname.lastname@example.org.