Deadline Extended! 2023 NYC Finance Trek, January 8-13, 2023
The 2023 NYC Finance trek is an opportunity for Amherst College sophomores to explore career opportunities in the financial services industry in New York City during inter-term (January 8 – 13, 2023).
This small, selective group of students will spend 5+ days during interterm discovering the nuances and various career paths available in the financial services industry including Bulge Bracket, Middle Market, and boutique investment banks, asset management firms, hedge funds, private investing firms, and institutional investors. This is an experiential learning opportunity that replicates life in the financial services industry in NYC. Students will visit approximately 22 employers and network with 100+ alumni and be expected to maintain a fast-paced agenda filled with informational discussions, employer site visits, networking dinners and receptions. Each morning will begin with a 7am de-briefing and preparation session and some evenings will not finish up until 10pm or later.
Selected students for this trek will:
- Clarify career focus through greater understanding of the financial services industry and the myriad of opportunities and career paths available
- Increase marketability to employers through acquisition of industry knowledge including a holistic view of the industry and its components
- Make connections with employers, alumni and friends of the college
- Learn about the wide variety of internships, jobs, and careers in the finance industry
- Hone effective internship and job search skills, including networking and interviewing
- Gain exposure to the key trends, issues, challenges, and opportunities in the industry
Because of the generosity of our alumni, the Loeb Center, there is no cost to students other thanpersonal incidentals. The college will cover transportation, housing, and most meals.
- Applicants must have standing as a sophomore (class of 2025)
- Demonstrated interest in exploring a career in finance
- Mandatory participation in pre-departure orientation on December 4, 2022 (9am – 2pm)
- Completion of pre-departure research assignments
- Full engagement in all facilitated group discussions, conversations with alumni, and visits to sites
- Participation in a post-trip debrief session on approximately Feb. 3, 2023
- Those accepted into the program will need to sign a contract committing to the program
This is a competitive application process that has 3 steps.
Step 1: Apply online via Handshake. Your application must include:
b. Word/PDF document responding to the questions below (Upload as “Other Document” in Handshake)
Step 2: All applications are screened and will participate in a group discussion. You will be asked to select your preferred dates/times when you submit your application in Handshake.
Participants will be notified prior to Thanksgiving Break if they are selected to participate in the Trek.
NOTE: You may also apply for the Boston Finance Trek (see details in Handshake). Although you will be considered for both, you may only participate in one.
For questions, contact Stephanie Hockman (SHockman@amherst.edu.)
Please answer the following questions in a Word document and attach to your application in Handshake.
2. Class year
3. Major (if known)
5. List any activities or clubs you participate in at Amherst College
6. Why are you applying to participate in the Boston Finance Trek? Include what you hope to gain
from attending this Trek and what you hope to learn that you do not already know.
7. If you could meet one senior leader at a financial services company, who would it be and why?
8. In 100 words or less, pitch me your favorite company or industry.