2023 Entertainment Trek to Los Angeles, January 8-13, 2023
The Entertainment Trek offers Amherst College sophomores, juniors, and seniors the opportunity to explore the spectrum of career opportunities in the art and business of entertainment.
As part of a small, select group of students you’ll travel to Los Angeles during interterm (January 8-13, 2023) for an immersive week of conversations with prominent Amherst alumni, site visits with prospective employers, and a behind-the-scenes look into the roles and organizations at the heart of the industry.
Students selected for this trek will:
- explore the development of television series and feature films.
- learn more about the work of producers, writers, talent agents, actors, entertainment lawyers, technical artists, and more.
- make connections with employers, alumni, and friends of the College.
- hone effective internship and job search skills, including networking and interviewing.
- gain exposure to the key trends, issues, challenges, and opportunities in the industry.
No prior experience in entertainment is required, but a demonstrated interest (i.e. coursework, independent creative projects, student group participation, or rigorous fandom, etc.) will be helpful in illustrating your enthusiasm. Providing thoughtful answers to the application questions below will also help to illustrate your interest.
Because of the generosity of our alumni and Loeb Center sponsorship, we are able to offer this
program at no cost to students.
- Mandatory participation in pre-departure orientation session on Saturday, December 3, 2022
- Completion of all pre-departure research assignments
- Full participation in all group discussions, conversations with alumni, and site visits
- Participation in a post-trip debrief session
- Those accepted into the program will sign a contract committing to the program
This is a competitive application process that has 3 steps.
Step 1: Apply online via Handshake. Applications include:
2. Unofficial transcript (Workday-->Academics-->View My Academic Record-->Click PDF at the top)
3. Responses to Application Questions listed below—submitted in PDF format via Handshake
Step 2: Applications are screened and selected applicants will participate in a group interview on either Oct. 28 or Nov. 2.
Step 3: Participants will be notified by November 18, 2022, if they are selected to participate in
Please answer all of the following questions and submit as your “Cover Letter” in PDF format via
2. Class year
3. Major (may be a prospective major if you have not yet declared)
5. List any activities or clubs you participate in at Amherst College
6. Why does a career in entertainment interest you?
7. How do you imagine this trek experience impacting your career exploration and/or decision-making?
8. What is one of your favorite feature films or TV series of all time? Why is it your favorite?
9. Characterize your "typical" role and contributions in groups or teams, and provide a specific example of a time you made a positive impact in a team environment.
Questions about the Entertainment Trek? Contact Carla Costa, Program Director, Arts & Communication: email@example.com