2023 Education Trek to Toronto, March 11-17, 2023
The 2023 Education Trek offers Amherst College sophomores, juniors, and seniors the opportunity to explore curriculum design, instruction, leadership, and education policy through site visits to schools, museums, think tanks, and universities. We will also investigate how public-private partnerships and innovative pedagogies have contributed to Canada’s emergence as an educational leader in international assessment rankings.
As part of a small, select group of students, you will join our first international Ed Trek to Toronto, Canada from March 11-17, 2023, for an immersive week of site visits and conversations with Amherst alumni who teach, research, and lead school and community change.
Students selected for this trek will:
• explore the how targeted policy directives are improving student learning of STEM, innovation, and health.
• learn more about Canada’s increase of teacher autonomy as well as their reform efforts with indigenous and migrant education.
• make connections with employers, alumni, and friends of the College.
• hone effective internship and job search skills, including networking and interviewing.
• gain exposure to the key trends, issues, challenges, and opportunities in the industry.
Because of the generosity of Chris Dorrance ’68 and Loeb Center sponsorship, we are able to offer this program at no cost to students.
• Mandatory participation in pre-departure orientation session
• Completion of all pre-departure passport-related tasks and research assignments
• Full participation in all group discussions, conversations with alumni, and site visits
• Participation in a post-trip debrief session(s)
• Those accepted into the program will sign a contract committing to the program.
This is a competitive application process that has 3 steps.
Step 1: Apply online via Handshake. Applications include:
2. Unofficial transcript
3. Responses to Application Questions listed below (PDF or Word attachment in Handshake)
Step 2: Applications are screened, and selected applicants will participate in a group interview in early November. Participants will be notified prior to Thanksgiving Break, if they are selected to participate in the Trek.
Please answer all of the following questions in a Word document and submit with your application in Handshake.
2. Class year
3. Major (may be a prospective major if you have not yet declared)
5. List any activities or clubs you participate in at Amherst College
6. Have you traveled out of the country? If so, where have you visited and why?
7. Why does a career in an education profession appeal to you?
8. What education or schooling-related issues or problems most concern/interest you and why?
9. Describe one of your best, and one of your worst, days in a classroom, museum, or out-of-school learning program?
10. Characterize your "typical" role and contributions in groups or teams, and provide a specific example of a time you made a positive impact in a team environment.
Questions? Contact Robert Siudzinski, Director of Amherst Careers in Education Professions - firstname.lastname@example.org